“Not all of us can do great things. But, we can do small things with great love!” – Mother Teresa
5th of September was chosen to commemorate the death anniversary of Mother Teresa. Recognising the role of charities and individuals to alleviate crisis around the world, the United Nations’ General Assembly designated 5th of September as International Day of Charity.
There are over 3 million charities in India that serve various causes ranging from child health, animal welfare, environment conservation, etc. The Akshaya Patra Foundation is a charity in India that works towards the core cause of implementing the Mid-Day Meal Programme. Serving in the hour of extreme crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Foundation began its COVID-19 Food Relief Service on 25th March 2020. The Foundation has served a cumulative of 7.8-Crore meals to the migrants, daily-wage labourers, and needy people at night shelters and old age homes. As a part of its COVID-19 relief service, Akshaya Patra serves cooked meals every day to the needy people and distributes grocery kits to help marginalised families.
In order to continue supporting food and education of mid-day meal beneficiaries, the NGO initiated the Happiness Bags Programme in which children. Each Happiness box is packed with:
- Nutrient-rich food items such as glucose biscuits, peanuts, double fortified salt, jaggery, and ragi flour.
- Immunity-boosters like turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Hygiene kit with a toothbrush, toothpaste and soap, and a pack of sanitary napkins for girl beneficiaries.
- Study materials such as an activity book, crayon set or colour pencils, Classmate notebook and pens or pencils.
Reasons to donate online to Akshaya Patra on this International Day of Charity
International Day of Charity reminds us that there are millions of people out there who do not have even a single source of wholesome or a complete meal a day.
- Donating towards Akshaya Patra’s COVID-19 Relief Service provides daily meals to the people from marginalised communities. Each grocery kit supports the feeding of a low-income family for 21 days.
- Donating towards Happiness Bags ensures well-being of children. The grocery items in the bag boosts their health and immunity and the study materials support continuity of learning.
- When you donate online towards Akshaya Patra, you become eligible for receiving tax exemption.
September is also celebrated as Hunger Action Month. Bring out the generosity in you by helping Akshaya Patra to continue its food relief service for the needy. This International Day of Charity, take action to make #ZeroHunger possible.